Ceiling Project? Don’t Default to Drywall
Five reasons wood-look planks earn raves
In the distant future, when archaeologists excavate houses from our era, they might conclude that our plain, cookie-cutter ceilings show a lack of imagination. And for the most part, they’d be right.
They’d find popcorn ceilings. Boring acoustic tiles. And drywall, drywall, drywall.
But their opinions might improve when they uncover some of today’s beautiful wood-look plank ceilings.
Drywall has been the default for ceilings since the 1950s, when it replaced plaster as the go-to choice. Now, many decades later, drywall is beginning to look a little dull.
According to Mark Clement, remodeler and co-host of MyFixItUpLife
radio and blog, there are much simpler and more attractive options than drywall like Armstrong’s WoodHaven Plank Ceilings
“I’m a big fan of the pre-finished wood-look products like WoodHaven over drywall,” said Clement. “The texture and look of wood just adds a special quality that can really transform a room. And because the planks are prefinished, they save contracting remodelers many, many steps.”
Clement recommends the planks whether you’re installing a new ceiling, replacing an unattractive popcorn ceiling or trying to cover up a stained ceiling.
And “cover up” is exactly what you can do with WoodHaven planks. The simple installation system lets you install right over popcorn
or textured ceiling or plaster ceiling. The planks can even attach to an existing drop ceiling grid
– completely hiding it.
Before Installing Armstrong Wood Plank
Mark Clement believes that wood look ceiling planks make a large impact compared to plain drywall ceilings.
Five Reasons to Consider Wood Plank
If you’re thinking of defaulting to drywall, here are five reasons to rethink that choice – and opt for a wood-look plank ceiling:
- Planks install in a fraction of the time Unlike drywall – which requires taping, sanding, priming and painting — prefinished planks are ready right out of the box. The 5″ x 84″ planks are made of medium density fiberboard, and available in a variety of finishes.
- Planks are easy to handle, haul and store Sheets of drywall are bulky and can weigh around 50 pounds, not to mention, they’re messy. Planks come in a box and are easier to handle, haul and store.
- Snap! Planks are easy to put up Installing drywall is an arduous, two-man job that often requires difficult cutting. WoodHaven planks are a three-step snap to install using the Easy-Up® installation system. Just attach the tracks directly to the ceiling, snap the clips on the track and position the tongue-and-groove planks inside the clips and slide into place.
- No specialist or subcontractors needed Many remodelers are forced to subcontract with drywall specialists when they discover the time and difficulty involved. But you’ll stay in control with prefinished planks because you can finish the entire project yourself.
- Planks earn raves – and referrals Nobody calls their neighbors over to see their finished drywall ceiling. But Clements’ client was moved to tears by the beauty of her classic, painted white plank ceiling. Happy homeowners have a way of spreading the word – and referring their remodeling contractors.
Before you default to drywall for your next ceiling project, consider the beauty – and ease – of wood-look planks. Your customers – and future archaeologists – will thank you.
Armstrong Ceilings is a NARI Industry Partner. Get inspired and visit Armstrong’s Project Ideas and Installation
| 10/18/2018 8:43:03 AM