2016 Region 3 North Central CotY Award Winner, Entire House Under $250,000
This 1926 bungalow was vacant when a water disaster destroyed the interior. Water damage and mold growth ensued, necessitating a total gut. Electricity had been mistakenly turned off by the power company, causing lines to freeze and burst, and water ran open for days before it was discovered. The claim was initially denied for utilities and mold exclusion, which was financially devastating for the owner. This restoration remodeler and architectural designer teamed up and renegotiated the claim to include mold abatement and a healthy reconstruction settlement. They redesigned the house to 2015 standards, while maintaining the character of the home.